Effective: October 27, 2022
BadVR, Inc. is headquartered in Los Angeles, California. We have offices and operations that help create and deliver some of your favorite products and services, including apps like SeeSignal and AROC (Augmented Reality Operations Center).
1. WHAT ARE THE BADVR SERVICES?
Note that your use of the BadVR Services may also be subject to additional terms and conditions. For example, you may be asked review and accept the SeeSignal End User License Agreement to access and use the SeeSignal application. Similarly, depending on the app distribution platform, you may also be asked to review and accept additional terms and conditions of the app distribution platform (for example, Meta's App Labs).
2. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
The types of information we collect depend on how you interact with us. Generally speaking, we collect information in three main ways: A) when you provide it to us, B) automatically when you use the BadVR Services, and C) from service providers and third parties.
A. Information You Provide
You can provide us with different kinds of information depending on how you interact with the BadVR Services. Sometimes we'll ask you to provide specific pieces of information, such as when we require it to provide parts of the BadVR Services to you (for example, by prompting you to complete an online registration process). If we ask you to provide us with information in these cases and you choose not to, you may not be able to access the relevant BadVR Services and/or some features may not operate as intended.
We also collect the information you voluntarily provide to sign up for email alerts, to register for early access to our applications, to attend our webinars, to complete surveys, or to contact us through our website. We collect whatever information you choose to provide to us in those or other similar cases.
B. Information We Collect Automatically
We collect some information automatically when you visit, access, or use the BadVR Services. This includes information about your application usage and other activity in the BadVR Services, typically associated with your account (if you are logged into your BadVR account or use a third-party account to access the BadVR Services) or with an identifier we have assigned to your device or profile. While the specific types of information that we automatically collect may vary, they generally include:
- Usage information and statistics about how you interact with the BadVR Services, including the application you used, how long you used it and when, saved preferences, crash reports, the URLs of our websites that you have visited, URLs of referring and exiting pages, page views, time spent on a page, number of clicks, and platform type;
- Technical information about your computer, device, hardware, or software you use to access our services, such as IP address, device identifiers, your internet service provider, plugins, or other transactional or identifier information for your device (such as device make and model, information about device operating systems and browsers, or other device or system-related specifications); and
- The general location of your device, which we typically derive from your device's IP address.
The BadVR Services use technologies such as cookies, log files, and web beacons to automatically collect the types of information listed above. Some of these technologies may create small files or record-keeping tools that may be stored on your device. They help us, our service providers, and third parties recognize your device and provide information about how you use and interact with the BadVR Services. For example, they support our ability to authenticate users, remember preferences, personalize experiences, and conduct data analytics.
Please note that if certain features on the BadVR Services are provided by third parties, those third parties may also use automated means of data collection and may record information about your use of the BadVR Services or others' websites over time. These features are subject to those third parties' privacy notices and policies.
C. Information We Collect from Other Sources
In some cases, we may also receive information about you from service providers and third parties in connection with your use of the BadVR Services or your interactions with us on other platforms.
For example, if you interact with an ad for one of the BadVR Services on an external website or service, the company that operates that website or service may share some information with BadVR in accordance with their own privacy practices. Your privacy settings on the other company's website or service typically control the specific types of information they can share with BadVR, so please be sure to review and update them regularly. Common examples for linked accounts might include your third-party account display name and user ID, as well as associated device information, name, and email address.
You can also buy, download, or access some BadVR Services on or through services operated by third parties. If you do, they may provide us with information to facilitate your access to and use of the BadVR Services. This typically includes information like your display name, user ID, and device and region information. For example, you can choose to download apps like SeeSignal on gaming or enterprise AR and/or VR app stores or platforms. When you do, the company operating that store, platform, or service may share some information with us, which helps us do things like facilitate your experience.
D. Fraud Prevention & Anti-Cheat
Providing users with a fair, balanced, and competitive experience on the BadVR Services is extremely important to us. We strictly enforce prohibitions against hacking, account stealing, and any other unauthorized or fraudulent activity on the BadVR Services. We use a variety of fraud prevention technologies to help us identify and prevent malicious activity. These services may collect and analyze data about your computer and the software on your computer to detect fraud and may be provided by BadVR or by third-party service providers.
3. HOW DO WE USE INFORMATION?
As a general matter, we use the information we collect (either individually or in combination with other information collected as described in this policy) to help us provide, improve, customize, analyze, and promote the BadVR Services.
This includes using it for purposes such as:
- Creating, verifying, and managing user accounts and features;
- Providing the BadVR Services, as well as support and assistance for them, including by responding to inquiries, processing requests, and communicating with users (such as by sending service and account-related messages and updates);
- Developing, delivering, and improving the BadVR Services and other offerings, some of which may be offered in partnership with other parties;
- Personalizing your experience, including by presenting content or features better tailored to you or your interests, or our inferences about your interests;
- Promoting the BadVR Services, including managing, customizing, and measuring the effectiveness of our advertisements, promotional offers, surveys, and events;
- Managing alpha, beta, or early access tests (and collecting feedback);
- Conducting data analytics (like analyzing how the BadVR Services are used so we can better understand, improve, and personalize them);
- Complying with our legal or contractual obligations and enforcing our terms; and
- Securing the BadVR Services, such as by detecting fraud and otherwise protecting BadVR and other users from illegal or harmful actions.
4. HOW DO WE SHARE INFORMATION?
We may share some of the information we collect to help operate and improve the BadVR Services. Depending on how you interact with us, common examples might include sharing:
- With platform partners (for example, to facilitate your experience when you access the BadVR Services through a third-party console provider);
- With other users (like if you use social features such as chat);
- Publicly (for example, your display name, content you create or share, and other similar information may be generally accessible to others);
- With service providers that operate on our behalf to help support the BadVR Services in accordance with our instructions (for example, cloud storage providers, payment processors, or marketing and advertising partners);
- When we believe we must in order to comply with the law or to protect you, BadVR, or others (for example, in response to court order or subpoena, as part of an investigation of fraud or other illegal activity, or violation of our terms or policies, or if necessary to protect others from death or serious harm to body or property);
- In connection with certain types of corporate transactions (like in the event of a restructuring or the sale of all or a significant part of our business); and
- With your permission (for example, if you link external accounts with your BadVR account, or use your BadVR account to sign into third-party apps and services or participate in cross-promotional events).
- We may also share information that does not identify you with third parties, including aggregate or de-identified information.
Third parties you interact with through BadVR Services may have different privacy practices than BadVR, so we encourage you to review their privacy policies before sharing your information with them.
5. CHILDREN'S PRIVACY
The BadVR Services are intended to be appropriate for general audiences and are not directed to children (usually considered to be under 13, depending on where you reside). BadVR does not intentionally collect personal information from children without seeking any required parental approval in accordance with applicable legal and regulatory obligations, such as the U.S. Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”).
We may ask you to provide age-related information to help us comply with laws like COPPA. For example, we may request your date of birth to determine whether COPPA requires us to obtain verifiable parental consent from your parent or guardian before allowing you to access the BadVR Services. If a user indicates they are a COPPA minor, we'll require that user to complete a parental approval process before continuing to access the relevant BadVR Services. This process is designed to notify parents that their child has requested access to the BadVR Services, inform them about BadVR's privacy practices, offer them the opportunity to approve BadVR's collection and use of their child's information as described in this policy, and describe the controls that we make available to them.
Once a parent provides their consent, we'll give them an opportunity to review and change important account settings that control how their child can interact with the BadVR Services. Parents are also generally free to change or revoke the choices they've previously made and can review the personal information associated with their child's account or request that we delete it from our systems. To submit these requests or ask us any other questions you may have about how we handle your child's personal information, please see “Contact Us” below.
6. YOUR CHOICES AND CONTROLS
We seek to provide you with meaningful choices about the personal information we collect. The specific choices available to you often vary depending on the exact nature of our relationship with you, such as the BadVR Services you use. Common examples include:
- You can request that we provide access to, or that we correct or delete, personal information we've collected from you. Please submit requests to access, update, or delete personal information associated with your BadVR account by reaching out to us as described in “Contact Us” below. Note that we may ask you for additional information to help us verify who you are before completing your request.
- You can change your email marketing preferences at any time, such as by using the opt-out mechanism provided in our marketing emails, or contacting us with your request (see “Contact Us” below).
- You can change your privacy settings on other parties' websites (such as social networks) or platforms (like console providers) to limit the information they may share with us.
- You can change your browser or mobile device settings to block, manage, delete, or limit tracking technologies like cookies. In some cases, blocking or disabling cookies may cause the BadVR Services not to work as intended and some features may not be available.
- If you're under the age of 18 and have accessed a BadVR product or service, you can ask that we remove or anonymize certain content you've provided on the BadVR Services. Please direct requests to help delete or edit content to BadVR as described in “Contact Us” below.
Some parts of the world provide individuals with specific choices related to their personal information by right under local law.
7. OUR GLOBAL OPERATIONS
BadVR, Inc. is based in the United States, but we operate globally to help provide users all around the world with a better experience on BadVR's Products and Services. We have partners worldwide to support these operations in a number of different ways. This means that BadVR may process the information we collect in connection with your use of the BadVR Services in places outside the region where you reside.
A. Data Transfers
When you use BadVR Services, your information may be transferred to or stored in the United States or other countries where we or our service providers operate. The data protection laws and rules in these countries may be different from those where you live. We rely on various legal mechanisms to help lawfully support transfers of information outside the country of collection where appropriate. If permissible under local law, you're authorizing BadVR to process your information in any of the locations where we operate (including the United States) by using the BadVR Services.
To learn more about the BadVR entity responsible for operating the BadVR Services you use, see “Contact Us” below.
B. California Residents
The California Consumer Privacy Act or “CCPA” provides consumers residing in California certain rights with respect to their personal information. If you are a California resident, you may have the right to (1) request to know more about the categories and specific pieces of personal information we collect, use, and disclose; (2) request deletion of your personal information; (3) opt-out of the sale of your personal information (if any); and (4) not be discriminated against for exercising these rights.
You or your authorized agent may make these requests by contacting us as described in “Contact Us” below. Note that we may ask you for additional information to help us verify whom you are before completing your request. If we receive your request from an authorized agent, we may ask for evidence that you gave that person authority to submit requests to exercise rights on your behalf. We will not discriminate against you if you exercise your rights under the CCPA.
In the past 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information, as described in the CCPA:
- Identifiers (such as email addresses);
- Demographic information (like ages);
- Internet or electronic network activity (for example, website usage details);
- Geolocation information (such as may be derived from your IP address or physical address);
- Other “personal information” as defined under California law; and
- Inferences drawn from any of these categories.
For details about the precise data points we collect and the categories of sources where we gather that information, please see “What Information Do We Collect?” above. We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in “How Do We Use Information?” above.
BadVR does not sell the personal information we collect. We do, however, disclose personal information as described in this policy (see “How Do We Share Information?” above). In the past 12 months, we have disclosed personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- Business partners;
- Service providers (as described in “How Do We Share Information?” above);
- Operating systems and platforms; and
- Government entities or other third parties in response to a legal request.
C. Residents Of The European Economic Area, The United Kingdom, And Switzerland
If you're located in the European Economic Area (EEA), the United Kingdom (UK), or Switzerland, you have certain rights regarding how your personal data is processed.
Data Subject Rights
You may have the right to access, correct, or delete personal data we have collected about you through the BadVR Services. You may also have the right to a portable copy of the personal data you have provided, and to object to or restrict processing of your personal data, such as for direct marketing. Where you have provided your consent to our data processing, you have the right to withdraw consent.
You also have the right to make a complaint against us by contacting your local supervisory authority for data protection (if one exists in your country). We would, however, appreciate the chance to address your concerns before you contact a data protection regulator, and ask that you direct your complaint to us first.
Please see the “Contact Us” section below to learn more about reaching out to BadVR with any relevant concerns you may have. You can find more details about your local Data Protection Authority as follows:
- EEA: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
- UK: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
- Switzerland: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html
Basis for Processing
The legal bases we rely on to process your personal data depend on the BadVR Services you use and how you interact with them. They primarily include:
- Contractual Necessity: we process personal data to perform the BadVR Services you requested under our Terms of Service or other similar contractual agreements with you. For example, we process personal data to set up and maintain your account; authenticate users; provide user-experience features (like saving your preferences); monitor and analyze the BadVR Services; detect and prevent fraud, or other similar misuse; facilitate features like cross-progression that allow you to access an app on one platform and continue your usage on another, which may require us to share your information with third-party partners; and contact you about your account, or other updates. We also rely on a performance of a contract to manage our relationship with you, which includes responding to your support requests or general inquiries and notifying you about changes to our applicable terms or policies.
- Legitimate Interests: we process personal data as needed for BadVR's business purposes, as balanced against the potential impact on your privacy rights. This includes many common purposes that you'd reasonably expect, such as to: communicate with you, respond to your requests, or provide you with updates and information; better understand our users and their preferences; personalize your experience, save your preferences, authenticate our users, and provide similar user experience features; develop, deliver, and improve the BadVR Services and other offerings (some of which may be offered in partnership with other parties); manage and customize advertisements or promotional offers; secure and protect the BadVR Services; prevent fraud and illegal activity; and support internal purposes such as auditing and data analysis.
- Legal Obligations: we process personal data when necessary to comply with legal obligations, such as responding to legitimate requests from law enforcement authorities or other government officials in accordance with relevant legal processes.
- Consent: we process personal data when you provide us with your consent to do so. You aren't required to provide consent if you do not want your personal data to be processed for the requested purposes, and you may withdraw your consent at any time.
Because the specific personal data we process and our reasons for doing so often vary depending on how you use the BadVR Services, how long we retain it can also vary. We generally store personal data for as long as we reasonably need it for the purposes described in this policy (like complying with our legal obligations, managing internal records, enforcing our terms, and resolving disputes), unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
The main criteria we consider in determining specific retention periods often include minimum requirements under applicable law, relevant industry standards, the types of data in question (such as its level of sensitivity), relevance to potential litigation or similar proceedings (like defending ourselves against legal claims), and whether the data is required to prevent fraud or similar abuse of the BadVR Services (including to enforce prohibitions against cheating and other unauthorized behavior). For example, if you create an BadVR account, we will generally store the personal data associated with your BadVR account for as long as needed to maintain your account, provide the BadVR Services you requested, enforce any terms that apply and govern your use of the BadVR Services, and maintain appropriate records to reflect how we deliver the BadVR Services to you.
To learn more about requesting that BadVR delete your personal data, please see “Your Choices and Controls” and “Data Subject Rights” above.
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your personal information from accidental, unlawful, or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, use, and other unlawful forms of processing. In some cases, your information is accessible when you log into a feature we offer, and in those cases, you need to keep your user credentials and password confidential and secure so that your information is protected.
We'll update this policy from time to time to reflect changes in our practices or relevant laws. When we do, we'll change the date noted at the top of the policy. In some cases, we may also notify you of the relevant changes by email or within the BadVR Services. Please review this policy regularly to make sure that you understand your relationship with BadVR and the ways we may collect, use, and share information in connection with the BadVR Services.
10. CONTACT US
If you have questions or concerns about the BadVR Services (such as app-related issues, trouble accessing your BadVR applications, bugs or other technical problems, privacy questions or concerns, or any other issues), please contact our Support team. You can learn more about submitting support requests for products and services from:
- +1 (833) 600-DATA
If you want to learn more about our privacy practices or this policy, please email your questions about products and services to:
- +1 (833) 600-DATA
You can also contact us via postal mail (marked “Attn: Legal Department”) to BadVR, Inc., located at 10312 Norris Ave. Ste. D Pacoima, CA 91331-2242, USA.